Sunday, September 12, 2010

Multitasking Mama!


Multitasking is something that, as a mother, I am forced to do quite often. Take tonight for an example; I was cooking steak and baked potatoes for dinner, cooking spaghetti and sauce for a meal later this week, getting some laundry into the wash, checking my Google account for new blog entries, listening to the news and thinking about what I would blog about tonight. (Some evenings there are even more tasks to try to juggle during the same limited time period.)

PBS Frontline did a show titled "Digital Nation" this past winter. The show examined how our ways of living, learning and working today are being altered through technology. We as a society do benefit from technology, but these new and growing digital abilities have also opened new doors to issues and problems that must be confronted. One of those issues is the growing dependence of multitasking.


The episode brought together college students who talked of their multitasking habits of texting, listening to music, doing homework, and checking email ALL AT THE SAME TIME. A MIT professor in the video said these digital distractions (in and outside of class) are making our students less productive, not more and there are studies to prove it. I see this in my own classrooms and in the outside world.

As far as my efficiency tonight while multitasking, my spaghetti was a bit sticky, I forgot the potatoes in the microwave for a bit, the clothes sat in the wash longer, I missed some of the details of the news I was listening to, I forgot to turn off a burner and I was getting frustrated while trying to open some things up in my Google Reader (having to stop every so often to stir something). I got everything done, but if I was able to put more of my focus on any one task (or at least a few less) I bet I would have had faster results AND spaghetti that wasn't sticky!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool self-analysis. I continue to go back and forth on the multitasking issue. Perhaps I should follow your example. I wonder how much variation there is between people and what demographic or personality trends there are on multitasking and productivity. Hmm...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to think of multitasking as a learning style. Some people can do it just fine (I have a student right now who is listening to LOUD music and writing - and it's the only way he CAN write). I think because there's so much available to us in terms of technology and information, we all feel like we must use all of it all of the time. For example, cell phones. I remember a time when nobody had one - and we all got on just fine. However, now one is a "must have" for many people. I have one, but I resent how it now means that I'm available at all times to anyone (I screen most of my calls...).

    Great post - I could talk about this all day!

    ReplyDelete