Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"Bah Humbug Halloween!"


Kids are kids for such a short time and I don't think schools should be so anxious to take away the "fun" events and customs of childhood. I don't know how any of you feel about Halloween activities during a school day, but I am ok with some Halloween fun.

My daughter is a 5th grader and the school usually does a first thing in the morning "parade" around the halls of the school. No scary or bloody costumes are allowed in school and people can come to take photos. After that, it was up to the classroom teacher to decide if there was a short "party" at the end of the day.

Being a teacher myself, I understand the stress of all the different "non-educational" things that take away from class time. I think our district's elementary teachers are loaded with standardized testing too. My daughter already took the NECAP (?I think that was the name of the almost two week long test). In a week or two they will be taking the NWEA. The principal in the other elementary school in our district did away with morning recess; leaving it up to individual teachers to decide if they wanted to do something with their own classes. My daughter told me yesterday that there won't be a parade on Thursday (there is no school on Friday because of workshops). I need to investigate some with an email to the principal (5th grader information sometimes leaves out things). The principal is in her 2nd year as an elementary principal and I would hope that she is not trying to do away with a simple event that my kids (as well as myself) look forward to.

SOON my daughter will be talking about boys, checking Facebook, wanting to drive and buying things at Victoria Secrets!!! I want to hold onto all the time I can with her wanting to dress up for Halloween, wanting to watch Disney Channel and wanting to play with Webkins. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment