Thursday, October 14, 2010

Oh, Goldilocks! Please Be My Guide!


Goldilocks seemed to have a clear sense of what was "just right" in the world. She knew what was too hot or too cold and what was too soft or too hard. When writing a blog, there is always the question of "is my post too short or too long?" What is the "just right" length???

I suppose it goes back to what the folks in my writing class discussed (on a message board) earlier. It may be more of a matter of what the purpose of the blog post is that may help determine a length that seems "just right." It is also important to keep in mind who the intended audience might be.

The very nature of blogs seems to be to get out information/thoughts fairly easily to as many people who are willing to read it. Along with that, chances are that if someone is reading your blog, they are probably reading others as well. That leaves only so long an individual can devote to reading any one blog post.

I imagine it may be like reading a newspaper or a magazine. I personally do a lot of title surfing and a quick read through the articles that catch my attention or that relates to something I think is important. But, like with my magazines, looking at blogs can be an activity that I can go at my own pace, come back to later, and look over again.

And now I will be guided by the inspiration of Goldilocks and finish this post! :)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post-just the right length! I am also guilty of this. Once I hit "publish post" I notice it might be a bit too long. I've decided to post for me!

    ReplyDelete